Location: Remote, based in Latin America, Africa, or Asia
Deadline: 10 January 2020
Summary: Horizontal is looking for a versatile UI and graphic designer to support our development and programmatic teams. Your primary focus will be to design user interfaces to ensure that Horizontal’s web and mobile tools are beautiful, easy to use, and highly accessible. You will also develop print assets for educational and marketing material. Apply to join a young and growing team developing technology for human rights!
Horizontal is a nonprofit organization serving frontline defenders, activists and journalists through digital security and tool development. We empower grassroots communities to use technology effectively and to operate safe from surveillance, censorship and repression.
Working at Horizontal
Horizontal’s values drive both our collaboration with partners and our work internally. We believe in the power of group consensus in decision-making, and strive to ensure that all team members are heard and contribute to the success of the organization. Just as important as the success of projects is each team member learning, growing, and feeling fulfilled in their work.
We are a distributed team, with members located on different continents. Team members are free to work from wherever they want as long as they have a good enough connection to join our online meetings and collaborate effectively. While we make sure to respect each other’s boundaries and work/life balance, remote work requires some flexibility to accommodate different time zones.
We are a small team in a young and growing organization. We are intentional in how we develop our organizational culture and processes, and hope to recruit someone interested in being part of this journey and investing themselves for the medium to long-term.
As a community-centered organization, diversity of life experiences makes a big difference in how we identify needs, and design and implement solutions. As a result, we deliberately seek applicants with different perspectives, identities, and experiences to build an inclusive workplace to better inform our programs and processes. Horizontal is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply.
- Communicate and collaborate with our development team and partners to understand design needs from a variety of programs
- Design beautiful & modern graphic solutions to communicate complex technical concepts to a non-specialist audience
- Develop digital assets for websites, mobile apps, and social media channels
- Develop print assets for educational and marketing material
- Develop and implement Brand Style Guides for new projects
What we need (required qualifications):
- You resonate with Horizontal’s values
- You accept and react positively to constructive feedback in an effort to better a design
- You have an ability and desire to build creative concepts from the ground up
- You are proficient in Sketch and Adobe Creative Suite (or equivalent software)
- You are flexible. We are a distributed team and remote work isn’t for everyone: it requires discipline and the ability to work independently. You should also be able to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- You are naturally curious, willing to learn from others and to work collaboratively. We’re always striving to get better at what we do and learn new skills or tools, and are not scared to say “I don’t know, I’ll research it”.
What we would like (preferred qualifications):
- You have experience working with other media (video, animation, illustration, etc)
- You have experience doing UX design
- You have experience working with a development team or a start-up
- You have experience working on civic tech, human rights, internet freedom, or social justice (not necessarily in the role of designer)
- You are fluent in a language other than English.
What we DON’T need:
- You don’t have to be completely fluent in written and spoken English. We just need you to understand and speak English well enough to ensure that we can work together effectively.
- You don’t need formal education. We are looking for skill and passion more so than degrees
If this sounds like you, follow this link to apply. Make sure to include:
- A cover letter
- Your CV
- A link to your portfolio